District One PIAC Hearing
- Date: 07/23/2020
- Introduction: The Public Improvements Advisory Committee (PIAC), in cooperation with the Mayor and City Council, will be holding public hearings across the city. These hearings are being held so that the Committee and Council can hear from citizens about the city’s public improvements needs. The PIAC will use inf
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, PIAC is modifying the public hearing process to include a remote meeting in each district. Two hearings will be held for each district and will include one virtual meeting and one in-person meeting. The PIAC is making a full effort to ensure that all those who wish to participate in the PIAC district hearings are able to do so in a safe manner. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact PIAC@kcmo.org. Each district’s PIAC representatives are also available for contact and further information. Additional information about City impacts, help, resources, and more on the City’s response to COVID-19 can be found at kcmo.gov/coronavirus.
In addition to coming to the hearings, citizens can also tell PIAC about needed public improvements by completing a PIAC application request form. These forms will be available at the hearings or are available from the Capital Improvements Program by phone: (816) 513-8828 or by e-mail.
The 2020 deadline date to submit a request is August 31.
Two PIAC District Hearings will be held for each district. Both meetings will accommodate a virtual option through Zoom and one meeting in each district will accommodate an in-person option. Meetings with an in-person option are identified in the schedule below. Please note that applicants and community members wishing to participate virtually (speak or show content) should do so through the video conference platform.
District One – Public Improvement Advisory Committee (PIAC) Hearings
Thursday, July 23, 2020
6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Zoom call in option – 312.626.6799
Zoom Conference ID - 95792924720
PIAC Virtual District Hearings – How to Participate:
The PIAC has selected Zoom for virtual district hearings. Zoom allows all participants (applicants, PIAC representatives, Council members, and staff) to participate by video conference. If you are unfamiliar with Zoom, additional information is provided below.
What does this mean for applicants?
You will be able to watch the hearing from the comfort and safety of your home. If you wish to participate you will be able to do so remotely using the participation links included with the meeting (above). If you wish to present a project, please “RSVP” for the meeting by e-mailing PIAC@kcmo.org and clearly indicate the meeting (and date) for which you would like to present. To RSVP, please also include the following:
- First and last name
- Organization (if applicable)
- E-mail address
- Phone number
- Project application address/location
You can also RSVP by calling 816-513-8828. While pre-registration is not required, it will help staff and the PIAC understand how many people would like to present and set the order for the majority of presenters ahead of time. If you do not pre-register you will still be able to submit your name through the chat function on the Zoom platform to show your interest in presenting a project. When your name is called you will have the following privileges:
- You will be able to be heard by all participants (make sure you have unmuted yourself).
- If you desire, you will be able to be seen by all participants (make sure your device has a camera and that it is functioning). If you'd rather not be seen, de-select the camera option on the video conference toolbar.
- You will be able to share content (PowerPoint presentation, etc.) if you desire. If you’d prefer, you can also send content to PIAC@kcmo.org for a staff member to share during the presentation. Please e-mail content by 4 p.m. the day prior to the hearing and clearly indicate the district and date you intend on presenting. Staff will run your presentation for you when you speak during the hearing.
How to Watch
If you do not wish to participate, but would like you watch the hearing, you will be able to watch the hearing from the comfort and safety of your home on the City YouTube Channel. If you would like to participate (either speak or show content), please access the hearing via the Zoom link provided for each meeting.
Ground Rules for Participants
It is important for all participants to keep in mind that public hearings are a special kind of meeting and that there is no video conferencing service specifically developed for public hearings. For this reason, we must establish the following ground rules to ensure the hearing functions with minimal interruption and maximum clarity.
- Screen Names
Use first and last names. If prompted to enter a screen name when launching Zoom, please enter your first and last name. If you have an existing Zoom profile you may not be asked to enter a screen name. In these cases, if your active screen name is anything other than your first and last names, we ask that you change it, at least temporarily, for the hearing.
- Audio Control Unmute yourself when speaking and mute yourself when not speaking.
- Video Control Unless you’ve disabled your video, you will appear on screen when speaking. Please be mindful of what is in your background.
If you would like to provide comment on a presentation, please join the meeting via the Zoom link. Once you’ve joined the meeting and the project you would like to provide comment on has been presented, please comment through the chat feature. This will alert staff that you would like to speak, and your name will be called.
PIAC In-Person District Hearings – How to Participate:
One meeting in each district will accommodate an in-person option for applicants who prefer to participate in person. Note that these meetings will also accommodate virtual participants through the Zoom platform in addition to those who attend in-person. Participants who wish to share a digital presentation and attend in person must send content to PIAC@kcmo.org by 4 p.m. the day prior to the hearing. Please clearly indicate the district and date you intend on presenting. Staff will run your presentation for you when you speak during the hearing which will minimize the number of people touching the technology present.
Guidelines for gatherings continue to change and may be updated closer to the hearings, please continue to check back at this webpage. At this time, KCMO staff intend to follow these guidelines:
- Ensure that proper distancing between participants can be accommodated at the identified locations. This includes, but is not limited to distancing between applicants waiting to present, presenters, PIAC representatives, and staff.
- All attendees will be asked to sign in.
- Each participant will be expected to wear a mask while inside the building for the public hearing. A mask will be provided if you do not have one.
- Any citywide guidelines will be followed at the time of the hearing.
We ask that community members continue to follow city guidelines. If you have any questions, you can contact the Capital Improvements Program at (816) 513-8828.