Guinotte Avenue Sinkhole RepairsCategories:
- Under Construction - KCMO Capital Projects (Public Works)
A large sinkhole formed in early June at Guinotte Avenue and Shelly St. in the East Bottoms. The cause of the sinkhole was in part due to heavy rains and saturated ground levels, in addition to the failure of several pressurized utility lines. Currently, the utility companies involved in the repair are managing the work, permitted by the Public Works Department. Contact information for the various utilities is listed below.
Businesses are open during construction.
This is a multiple utility repair.
Current schedule (weather permitting):
- Veolia & KCP&L completed by November 1, 2019
- KC Water completed by December 6, 2019
- Spire completed by January 10, 2019
- Sinkhole restored by January 27, 2020
Other specific details:
- Veolia is making preparations to construct walls on the slab
- A detailed schedule for remaining repairs includes:
- Sept. 16-Oct. 11: Construct walls on slab
- Oct. 14-18: Construct deck and back-fill
- Anticipated completion: November 1, 2019
- KCP&L continues to coordinate with Veolia and will complete their work within 2 weeks after Veolia removes their shoring
- Spire is currently obtaining Right-of-Way acquisition and complete paperwork for easements
- Spire submitted the plan for gas line relocation to Water Services for review on 9/6/19
- KC Water:
- Water services will being work after Veolia and KCP&L have completed their work
- The water main will be designed in house and repaired by a contractor
- Replacement of the sewer main is approximately 60 linear feet of 18-inch diameter pipe
- Road reconstruction will take approximately a week after the utility repairs are completed.
- Weekly utility coordination meetings started on 7/30/19
Due to weather delays, we now anticipate the repairs to be completed in approximately early 2020, weather permitting.
Veolia North America
Jim Miller, Director of Business Development
Phone: (816) 889-4909
John Mink, Communications Manager
Phone: (816) 472-3769
Heather Frierson, Media Relations Coordinator
Water Services Department– Kansas City, Mo.
Phone: (816) 513-0280
Carol Macken, Community Business Manager
Kansas City Power and Light
Phone: (816) 556-2809
KCMO Public Works
Maggie Green, Public Information Officer
Public Works Department– Kansas City, Mo.
Phone: (816) 513-2612