Englewood Complete Streets ProjectCategories:
- Active - KCMO Capital Projects (Public Works)
LATEST CONSTRUCTION UPDATE (last update 7/16/19):
ROAD CLOSURE UPDATE: North Summit Road, starting Monday June 24, 2019
Starting Monday June 24, 2019, N. Summit Road will be closed for while contractors excavate the existing roadway and construct the tie-in to the newly aligned portion of N. Summit. The roadway is anticipated to be reopened before the end of the month (July 2019). Message boards, road closure signs, and detour signage are installed to help drivers navigate through the area. The detour route includes using NW 60th Street west through the neighborhood to NW 68th Street. Signage is posted along the detour route.
Contractors are finishing the pavement on the eastern portions of the project from Mercier to Hwy 169, which has experienced some delays due to weather. Depending on weather the next few weeks, we anticipate this eastern segment of the road will be open sometime in July 2019. This will provide direct access to Hwy 169 from the east half of Englewood.
Waterline work continues westward toward Waukomis.
Once the eastern portion of the project is complete, the contractor will begin work on the western portion of the project towards Waukomis Road. Access to the school and access to Mercier Drive will remain open at all times during the construction.
This complete street project will reconstruct a portion of Englewood Road from US 169 to Waukomis Drive. The project will result in an upgrade of the existing two lane unimproved roadway to a three lane roadway with new curb, gutter and sidewalks/10-foot trail.
Roadway improvements include:
- Bike lanes
- Storm sewer improvements
- Water main replacement and upgrade
- New streetlights
- Traffic signal
- Median and landscaping improvements
- New roundabout at Waukomis and Englewood
- Realigned Summit Street
Road closure specifics:
- Unrelated to the City’s Englewood Road project, MoDOT will be doing work on Hwy 169, adding ramp lane extensions and other work. In mid-May 2019, their contractor will be closing the southbound on-ramp from Englewood Road to Hwy 169. The closure will last 20+ days. While MoDOT has the ramp closed, the City’s contractor will complete Englewood Road work in that area.
- Unrelated to the City’s Englewood Road project, MoDOT will be closing the northbound ramps at Englewood Road in summer 2019
- Local traffic wishing to access the portions of Englewood Road west of Mercier Drive will need to use NW Waukomis Drive.
- The section of road, from Mercier to Highway 169 will be closed until spring of 2019. When this first section is complete, the western phase, from Mercier to Waukomis will close. That closure will be in place until mid-2020
Latest Schedule (subject to change):
- Spring 2019: Waterline work on current phase
- June 2019: Finish pavement in current phase
- Summer 2019: Begin Phase 2 (western phase)
- Summer 2019: Storm sewers and waterlines in Phase 2
- Late 2019: Waukomis roundabout construction
- Spring 2020: Seeding and sodding
- Completion of the project is expected before the school year in fall 2020, weather permitting
- Contractors will maintain access to West Englewood Elementary
- Ride KC reroutes: 234 will reroute. From Antioch Park and Ride, buses will use the regular route on Englewood, go south on 169, north on I-29, take Waukomis exit, go east on Waukomis. Buses will travel the reverse route to Antioch Park and Ride.
- The Englewood/Liberty Intersection will remain open to N Liberty Ave traffic throughout construction.
- Funded with PIAC dollars, a federal STP grant, GO Bond funds and development agreement funds
The following displays were presented at a public open house on March 7, 2018:
- Englewood Blvd-North Summit Intersection
- Englewood Blvd- Waukomis Roundabout
- Englewood Blvd-North Liberty Avenue Intersection
- Englewood Blvd-Cross Section: North Liberty Avenue to Waukomis
- Englewood Blvd- Cross Section: Highway-169 to North Liberty Avenue
Public Works Department– Kansas City, Mo.
Phone: (816) 513-2746
Public Information Officer
Public Works Department– Kansas City, Mo.
Phone: (816) 513-2612