Virtual court appearances available at Municipal Court
Courthouse remains closed to the public
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 7, 2020
The Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court is giving you a way to appear in court at a virtual court hearing, so you can address your pending cases in a new, convenient, safe way.
A virtual hearing is a video conference that lets you, the judge and the prosecutor meet without going to the courthouse.
Due to COVID-19 concerns, Municipal Court Presiding Judge Corey A. Carter has ordered that the courthouse remain closed to the public while the court works to meet Missouri Supreme Court guidelines to fully resume in-person operations. The Court wants to have the necessary precautions in place to protect the health and safety of court users and staff.
Throughout the City’s Stay Home Orders, Municipal Court has continued to operate online and by mail, email and phone. The Court encourages individuals to address pending cases by virtual court appearance. You will need access to internet, video, and a microphone or the ability to dial in by cell phone or landline.
To be eligible, you must want to either:
- Enter a plea of guilty on cases that are punishable by fine.
- Request time to pay or modification of payment plan or probation condition modifications.
- Request a continuance of a future court date.
- Request a Legal Aid (court provided) attorney.
- Resolve outstanding warrant.
- Have an attorney who has worked out a plea negotiation with the prosecutor.
Virtual court appearances are only scheduled by request and are completely voluntary. To apply, send an email to KCMCVirtualDocket@kcmo.org. •
- You must include your name, date of birth, email address and phone number.
- If available also include your driver’s license number and ticket or case numbers.
- Please list your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices for the day of the week and time of your virtual hearing. Your choices are 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. or 3:30 p.m.; Monday through Friday, except holidays.
You will receive a reply email with your virtual court appearance date, time, and a ZOOM link to join the meeting. When you join the meeting, you will be placed in a virtual waiting room. The judge will admit you to the meeting when your case is called. There may be other cases ahead of you so please be patient. You also will receive an email if your case is not eligible for a virtual hearing.
To meet public court hearings requirements, virtual appearances are live streamed over a court YouTube channel, but the video is not stored because it is not the official court record. State and local court rules prohibit recording virtual and in-person court hearings without prior permission from the court.
For more information go to the Municipal Court web page on KCMO.gov.
Media may contact Benita Jones, Public Information Officer for the Municipal Court, at 816-513-6711.