The City Planning and Development Department guides future physical and economic development by focusing on two main areas: Planning Services and Development Services. In Planning Services, staff manage development policy, conduct research and support the City’s long-term vision. In Development Services, staff issue permits, review plans and enforce development policy.
To find out more about the City Planning and Development Department activities, view our 2018 Interactive Annual Report online or our 2018 Printable Annual Report.
View our KC: At a Glance Interactive Story Map for details and facts about Kansas City, Missouri. You can find a printable resource for this information here: KC: At a Glance Printable Guide.
- Long-Range Planning & Preservation- includes Long Range Planning, Historic Preservation, Demographic Research and Communication. The Historic Preservation group oversees nominations to the City and National Register of Historic Places; as well as, facilitating the Landmarks Commission. The demographic research group uses tailored U.S. Census data to meet customer requests. The Long Range Planning group works with property owners, developers, neighborhood groups, community agencies and local businesses to develop Area Plans for the City’s 18 geographic areas while maintaining the City’s comprehensive plan.
- Development Management- provides staff support to the City Plan Commission (CPC) and Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA), and makes recommendations to the groups regarding land use issues for current projects. The Division also houses the Development Compliance Branch which ensures public welfare and safety through the enforcement of codes and ordinances. The branch’s responsibility includes land use and development compliance, floodplain violations and processing of Certificate of Legal Non-Conformance applications.
- Urban Redevelopment- works directly with citizens, developers, and development agencies to assist, fund, and manage projects from the planning stage to project completion. The group also administers the Lien Waiver Program.
- Land Development- involved in the development of land from start to finish. Focuses on addressing a project’s impacts, as well as the number of land parcels, streets, storm sewers, storm water management, conveyance systems, sanitary sewers, streetlights, street signals, erosion and sediment control.
- Plans Review- reviews plans for construction, renovation or remodeling of buildings and building systems. Staff works with property owners, contractors and designers directly by answering questions and finding resolutions to assure compliance within the building code and its technical articles, the Zoning Ordinance, and the Floodplain Ordinance. Additionally, the Division evaluates code modification requests submitted by designers.
- Permits- issues construction related permits, zoning determinations and clearances and conformance verification letters for lending institutions. The division processes applications related to construction permits and oversees contractor licensing.
- Inspections- primary field enforcement for the department for all permitted construction activity on private property. The majority of inspections are performed in response to related building permits. Investigations are performed in response to a complaint. The inspections include various aspects of building construction including; framing, fire protection, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and elevators.
The Administration division provides support and resources for the department to reach its goals. The division includes finance, human resources, customer service, economic development and special projects.
- General Office hours: Monday through Friday (except holidays), 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- All of the divisions offer walk-in services and appointments can be scheduled by calling the main number at (816) 513-1500
- The Codes Question Hotline, for building and construction related questions, is staffed daily from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM at (816) 513-1511 or you can email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sign up for City Planning emails and announcements -Enter your email address in the City Planning and Development section.
- Follow us on Twitter @kcmoplanning
- AlertKC provides an efficient and secure way to send text alerts with neighborhood-level information to residents who subscribe to the system.
- NextDoor – The City uses Nextdoor to share news, safety alerts, neighborhood events and services.
Would you like a member of our staff to speak to your group or organization about the City Planning and Development process or department initiatives? Please email email@example.com to inquire.
City Planning and Development welcomes resident input. Please take the City Planning Customer Satisfaction Survey and let us know how we’re doing!