October 10, 2018: Two years after receiving a $7 million allocation from the City Council to launch a three-phase plan to remake the 18th and Vine Historic District, a 24-page report was released to update the public on the remarkable improvements being made to one of Kansas City’s most treasured areas.
Things to Do at 18th & Vine
The Historic 18th & Vine District is celebrates Kansas City place as one of the four pillars of jazz. Located in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, the district comes alive with music, restaurants and art, as well as remembering the historic Negro Leagues and hosting an Major Leagues Baseball Urban Youth Academy. Visit the district to enjoy jazz, BBQ, baseball, art and more.
- American Jazz Museum
- Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
- Urban Youth Baseball Academy Information
- KC Tourism
April 2018: At the City Council’s request, City Manager Troy Schulte hired a consultant to conduct a review of the American Jazz Museum. That Organizational Assessment has been delivered to the Council. It contains a range of recommendations concerning challenges at the museum. See the City Manager’s memo.
The remarkable progress being made to improve the 18th & Vine Historic District was presented to the public by Third District Councilmembers Jermaine Reed and Quinton Lucas and can be found in a 20-page report containing first-year highlights.
The 18th & Vine Improvements Plan Update is a year-in-review that highlights how the first $1.7 million of the $7 million the City Council allocated in 2016 for Phase 1 projects has been spent.
It is anticipated that 75 percent of Phase 1 projects, or $5.2 million of work, will be completed by spring 2018.
The City Council, unanimously approved Ordinance 160431, As Amended, for Phase I improvements to the 18th & Vine Historic District. The City is committed to restoring and transforming the District into a sustainable, viable, mixed-use entertainment and residential district. The first of three project phases include the following project list:
- Buck O’Neil Education & Research Center
- Black Archives
- American Jazz Museum Design – Blue Room Expansion
- Outdoor Amphitheater (Great Lawn) – Design & Construction
- 18th Street Streetscape – West to Lydia – Design & Construction
- 18th & Paseo NE Corner – Outdoor Access and Patio – Design & Construction
- Parking Lot, 18th & Lydia – Design & Construction
- Vine St Stabilization & Infill, Mixed-Use Redevelopment
- Stabilization of the Historic Boone Theater
- New 18th St Retail, Apartments
- KC Friends of Alvin Ailey Headquarters
- Transfer of 18th, Vine St Properties/Market Feasibility Study/Historic Preservation/Marketing/Site Development, Project Management
- 18th & Vine Gateway Plaza
The City has completed the acquisition of properties in the District and steady progress continues to be made on the stabilization of buildings in the 1800 block of Vine Street and the historic Boone Theater. Contractors will complete stabilization work at both locations in Summer 2017. The construction bid process is also underway for the Parking Lot project, located at 18th & Lydia, and work is expected to begin Fall 2017. The new parking lot will add 200+ spaces within walking distance to the District
Want to visit 18th & Vine or learn more about projects there?
- December 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- November 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- October 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- August 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- July 2017 Improvement Projects Update
- June 2017 Improvement Projects Update