The following is the city’s full draft of the Bike KC Master Plan: Bike KC Master Plan Draft 2019.
In early 2019, the plan was approved by the Board of Parks and Recreation, the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee and the City Plan Commission. The Plan will ultimately need City Council approval before adoption. That docket date is TBA.
Background and Process of the Bike KC Plan Rewrite
The City Planning & Development Department’s Long Range Planning and Preservation staff is finalizing a rewrite of the Bike KC plan along with multiple city departments, partner organizations and community members. The rewrite is in response to the 2016 Bike KC Performance Audit released by the City Auditor’s Office in December, 2016. The purpose of this planning process is to establish a clear vision for bicycling in Kansas City, set specific goals and strategies, prioritize projects or project areas for the future, and to address funding and programmatic elements. The 2016 audit made 13 recommendations that the rewritten plan must address. They can be found on page 22 of the audit.
The final draft of the project had four phases:
- Establishing project background and engaging the public to establish the plan’s vision
- Conducting network analysis including level of traffic stress and facility typologies
- Evaluating project prioritization, programming, policies, funding, and implementation strategies
- Drafting full plan and beginning adoption
Continued public engagement is necessary for this project’s success.
Project Presentations and Materials
- Joint Steering/Tech Committee Presentation - 9/2017
- Joint Steering/Tech Committee Presentation - 12/2017
- Draft 2018 Bike KC Network
- Draft 2018 Bike KC 5-Year Priority Network
- MARC Regional Bikeway Plan – Adopted
- Bicycle Network Demand Analysis – Report Prepared by BikeWalkKC
- More Details on the Bicycle Network Demand Analysis Report
The Public Works Department is coordinating with the City Manager’s office to move forward with several bikeway projects currently planned or already underway.