A MESSAGE TO OUR CUSTOMERS:
Construction activity in KCMO IS PERMITTED under the Stay at Home Order.
However,City Hall is closed at this time.
We are asking that customers utilize CompassKC to submit plans and apply for permits. Tutorials are posted below.
We are moving any scheduled in-person meetings to phone calls to reduce public interaction for the health and safety of our customers and staff. We are continuing with our inspections as usual, but practicing social distancing.
Please call 816-513-1500 if you have any questions or need assistance. We appreciate your patience during this unpredictable time.
What is Compass KC and How Do I Get There?
Compass KC brings city services to your fingertips. Submit permits and plans and interact with multiple city departments all in one place! Click on the Compass image below to start.
How do I use Compass KC?
We understand, with any new system, comes a learning curve. That’s why we have provided some tutorials for you to get you started with Compass KC and others that you can come back to if you have questions along the way!
- How to Register Guide (PDF)
- How to Register (Video)
- How to Search Guide (PDF)
- How to Search (Video)
- How to Submit Plans Guide (PDF)
- How to Request Inspections Guide (PDF)
- How to Apply for Permit Guide (PDF)
Additional Process Tutorials and Information
The following departments and divisions are using the Compass KC system in the current phase, Phase 1. Below each department, specific resources will be added that show processes within Compass KC specific to the associated city departments.
City Planning and Development – Building permits, inspections scheduling, plan reviews, contractor licensing, etc.
- FAQs: see City Planning and Development Department list of frequently asked questions related to using Compass KC.
- Homeowner Permit Guide: If you plan to do work on your own property/home without a licensed professional please read this guide.
- Compass KC Dashboard and Submittals Guide- view this guide for a screen by screen walk through of the submittal process.
- Still stuck and want to chat? Call us at 816-513-1500.
Public Works – Excavation, hauling and parking permits as well as traffic control, bicycle rack placement and event-related permits.
Regulated Industries – Visit the Regulated Industries web page for a list of permits.
Parks and Recreation – All park permit services, except the park event and film/photography permit services.
For general questions about the software, email CompassKC.