• Mayor Lucas has announced a mask order extension. Read the updated FAQ.
  • Masks or face coverings are required indoors in KCMO.
  • KCMO is in a state of emergency. Find City reopening information, help, resources, and more at

Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How to obtain electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits.

Permits are needed before beginning most electrical, plumbing or heating and ventilating work in Kansas City, MO. The Permit Center is on the 5th floor of City Hall at 414 E. 12th St., Kansas City, MO 64106; phone (816) 513-1500 or fax (816) 513-1456.

Certain minor repairs – replacing a faucet or other plumbing fixture, replacing any component part of an appliance or replacing a light switch or light fixture – are exempt. All other projects require a permit and formal inspection at various phases of construction before the work can be approved. These requirements apply not only to new structures, but also to any work that physically changes existing structures and any work regulated by City building, plumbing and electrical codes, the zoning ordinance and all other ordinances.

  1. The first step in obtaining an electrical, plumbing or heating and ventilating permit depends on the nature of the work and who will do it.
    1. Single-family dwellings and accessory structures – If you own a single-family dwelling, you are authorized to obtain permits for any work on the premises if you occupy the dwelling and perform the work yourself. Other persons requesting permits to do electrical, plumbing or heating and ventilating work must be licensed contractors.
    2. Two-family dwellings, multifamily dwellings and all other commercial buildings Electrical, plumbing and heating and ventilating permits for work on these types of structures may be issued only to licensed contractors.
  2. It may be necessary to submit plans for review and approval, depending on the scope of the work. Permits for work on existing single-family and two-family dwellings and for minor installations in commercial buildings may be issued with only a description of the work. Additional permits for work on new single-family and two-family dwellings are usually issued with a description of the work after the building permit has been issued.

Most other permits for plumbing, mechanical and electrical work on multifamily dwellings and commercial buildings will be issued only after the building plans have been approved and the building permit issued. Building permits will be issued once the plans meet the various requirements of City departments involved in the review process.

  1. Once plans are approved, the applicant may obtain the building permit by paying a permit fee (or the remainder of the permit fee for projects with valuations of $100,000 or more) based on the total cost of construction.
  2. City inspectors will inspect the project throughout the construction phase as required by code. Inspection requests should be made either to the Inspection Division office at (816) 513-1500 option #3, sub-option #1 or by fax at (816) 513-1536.
  3. When the completed project complies with the approved plans and all applicable building codes, a certificate of occupancy will be issued or a written approval of the work will be provided. New or remodeled structures cannot be occupied until a certificate/approval has been issued.