The Division issues construction related permits, zoning determinations and clearances, and conformation verification letters for lending institutions. The Division also processes applications related to construction permits from submittal to permit issuance. Staff also oversees contractor licensing.
You can visit the Building Permits staff in the Permit Office on the 5th floor of City Hall. Call (816) 513-1500 to get more information or to schedule an appointment. Staff can assist and answer questions on the permit hotline at (816) 513-1500.
How to Apply
- Building Permit Plan Review Application – You Can Now Apply Online Using COMPASS KC
- Building Permit Application – You Can Now Apply Online Using COMPASS KC
- Express Plan Review Application – You Can Now Apply Online Using COMPASS KC
- Zoning Clearance Application
- Contractor Licensing Information
- Learn About Solar Panel Permits – You Can Now Apply Online Using COMPASS KC
Learn More About…
The Development Fee Schedule can be found in its entirety in Article 1 Section 18 of the Building Code. A permit shall not be valid until the fees prescribed by law have been paid, nor shall an amendment to a permit be released until the additional fee, if any, has been paid. The payment of the fee for the construction, alteration, removal or demolition for work done in connection to or concurrently with the work authorized by a building permit shall not relieve the applicant or holder of the permit from the payment of other fees that are prescribed by law.
- Permit Fees – Residential
- Permit Fees – Commercial Building
- Permit, Plan Check, Site Disturbance Fee Calculators
(You must download the Calculator PDF to input numbers for fee calculations)
- Building and Rehabilitation Code
The Kansas City Building and Rehabilitation Code outlines the minimum requirements for construction within the City of Kansas City, Mo.
- Code Interpretations
This link provides interpretations of the building code.
- Information Bulletins
Search for Department information and standards documents with forms and applications for various development functions. Search functionality is available within the site for detailed searches.