Records Requests and Freedom of Information Act

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City Planning and Development Department has made changes to make your request for information easier to access. Please use the guidelines below before submitting your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to Please note this records request is only for City Planning and Development Department records.

Zoning Compliance Letter

  • CPD offers a Zoning Compliance Letter – The Zoning Compliance Letter provides the following parcel information:
    • Zoning Use and Zoning Violations
    • Building code violations
    • Permits records
    • Certificate of Occupancy
  • The fee for a Zoning Compliance Letter is $132.00. The turnaround time is 15 working days from receipt of the request letter and fee. The fee is per parcel requested. Please email your records request to Include the issues you want addressed in the letter, the agency to whom the letter is to be addressed and the e-mail to whom a copy is to be sent upon completion of processing the letter. CPD Staff will email you a credit card authorization form and upon receipt of the fee, your request will be filled.

Certificate of Occupancy

  • CPD also keeps Certificate of Occupancy records. The Certificate of Occupancy (CICO) provides the following information about a parcel or project:
    • Project area and height
    • Occupancy group and construction type
    • Zoning district and code information
    • Building permits
    • Other permits associated with the property
  • The fee for a copy of a previously issued CICO is $33.00. In addition to the $33.00 charge for the certificate, there is also a charge for labor and copies requested You can submit your request by email at CPD Staff will email you a credit card authorization form and upon receipt of the fee, your request will be filled.

Records Search Using Compass KC

Customers can access most of the permit records on properties dating back to 1986 on the Compass KC permitting system. Go to the Compass KC page to learn how to search for permits or plans.

Records Search Using KCMO Parcel Viewer

Access Zoning, Mapping and Additional Parcel Information

Records Request Using Online Form

Online Sunshine Request Form – Missouri’s Sunshine Law requires a public body to grant access to open records it already has, but it does not require a public body to create new records in response to a request for information. There is a fee for this type of request, pursuant to Missouri Sunshine Law, Chapter 610, Revised Statutes of Missouri. The fee is calculated by hours of labor required to gather the documents and the number of copies requested. Access a downloadable copy of the CPD Sunshine Request Form

*Please note, CPD does not keep records on information related to hazardous materials, fuel storage, asbestos and other records pertaining to environmental  issues. These records may be available from other City Departments. Please use the City’s Online Sunshine Request form to access those records.