Special Assessments

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City issues special assessments for the following types of work performed on behalf of a property owner:

  • Water main maintenance and installation
  • Sanitary sewer maintenance and installation
  • Nuisance abatement (including mowing and trash removal)
  • Demolition and board-up of dangerous buildings
  • Neighborhood Improvement Districts

For sewer and water main assessments, the property owner has 60 days from the date of issuance of the assessment to pay the balance of the assessment in full. For trash removal, mowing, demolition, and board-up assessments, the property owner has 30 days from the date of issuance of the assessment to pay in full. If not paid in full, sewer and water main assessments revert to an annual billing and are payable, with interest, in 15 annual installments. All other assessments will be considered delinquent and turned over to the City’s collection agency.

Payment for special assessments can be made electronically using Quick Tax and by mail (check) or in person (by check, cash or credit card) to the City Treasurer’s Office. Checks should be made payable to KCMO City Treasurer.

A special assessment is a lien against the property and if left unpaid, may leave the property subject to foreclosure or other collection enforcement actions.

Questions regarding special assessments can be directed to:

Revenue Division
City Hall, second floor, 414 E. 12th St. Kansas City, MO 64106
(816) 513-1120