gas station

Tax Guide for Convenience Stores

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
This guide is intended for use by convenience store owners and operators with store locations in Kansas City, Missouri.
Convenience stores must be registered and licensed to do business in Kansas City, Missouri. The first step is to submit a Registration Application (Form RD-100).

Form RD-100 can be submitted electronically on Quick Tax or in person to the Business License Office at 1118 Oak Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64106. A Zoning Clearance is required.  

Once the application is processed, the appropriate tax accounts will be created and you will receive a notice listing your account numbers to reference on returns you file and when communicating with the Revenue Division.

The City’s Regulated Industries Division requires various applications, clearances and permits. For instance, for the sale of cigarettes, a cigarette application and license must be obtained. For the sale of alcohol, a liquor license must be obtained from Regulated Industries and a clearance letter issued by Revenue staff.

If the convenience store prepares food on the premises, a Food Establishment Application is required by the City’s Health Department. One application has to be completed for prepared food and one for packaged food. Contact the Health Department for further inquiry of needed license and permits.