Hotel lobby

Tax Guide for Hotels

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Hotels must be registered and licensed to do business in Kansas City, Missouri. The first step is to submit a Registration Application (Form RD-100).

Form RD-100 can be submitted electronically on Quick Tax or in person to the Business License Office at 1118 Oak Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64106. A Zoning Clearance is required. 

Other clearances and permits may be requested, depending on whether food or liquor will be served on the hotel premises. The City's Regulated Industries Division requires various applications, clearances and permits. For instance, for the sale of cigarettes, a cigarette application and license must be obtained. For the sale of alcohol, a liquor license must be obtained from Regulated Industries and a clearance letter issued by Revenue staff.

If hotel prepares food on the premises, a Food Establishment Permit Application is required by the City's Health Department. One application has to be completed for prepared food and one for packaged food. Contact the Health Department for further inquiry of needed licenses and permits. 

Once the application is processed, the appropriate tax accounts will be created and you will receive a notice listing your account numbers to reference on returns you file and when communicating with the Revenue Division.