• An updated FAQ for the next phase of the KCMO soft reopening has been posted.
  • KCMO is in a state of emergency. Find City impacts, help, resources, and more at
restaurant kitchen

Tax Guide for Restaurants

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Restaurants must be registered and licensed to do business in Kansas City, Missouri. The first step is to submit a Registration Application (Form RD-100).

Form RD-100 can be submitted electronically on Quick Tax or in person to the Business License Office at 1118 Oak Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64106. A Zoning Clearance is required. 

Other clearances and permit may be requested. Restaurants are required to send the Health Department a Food Establishment Permit Application. The application must be completed and submitted at least 30 days prior to a restaurant’s planned opening or transfer of ownership. Once the permit application has been filed, the Health Department will conduct a pre-opening inspection. The City charges fees for processing applications and issuing food establishment permits.  

The Health Department will create an inspection schedule for established restaurants, with intervals that average six months. More frequent inspections may be made at the department’s discretion.  

Restaurants must have a license to serve alcoholic beverages. Forms for acquiring a license are available from the Neighborhoods & Housing Services Department, Regulated Industries Division.

Once the application is processed, the appropriate tax accounts will be created and you will receive a notice listing your account numbers to reference on returns you file and when communicating with the Revenue Division.