Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program & Project Lead Safe KC
What Can These Programs Do for Me?
Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- Test your children for lead poisoning
- If you’re pregnant, test you for lead poisoning
- If your child has lead poisoning, we identify and remove lead hazards
Project Lead Safe KC
- Test your home for lead
- Repair your home if it has hazardous lead (If you meet income qualifications)
- Test products
- Explain the dangers of lead
To Get Tested, Call to Schedule an Appointment
Phone: (816) 513-6048
Once scheduled, you will come to:
2400 Troost Ave., Suite 3400
Kansas City, MO 64108
Mondays - Fridays: 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM (except holidays).
*Walk-ins: Testing is not guaranteed for walk-ins. Nurses may be conducting off-site testing.
What If I Think My Home Has Lead Paint?
(Project Lead Safe KC*)
Licensed lead inspectors will come to your home if:
- You are the owner and you occupy the Kansas City, MO, home
- Your home was built before 1978
- Your household income is less than 80 percent of the area’s median income
- You have a child under the 6 years of age who lives in your home or visits your home more than 6 hours every week
- Owners of rental homes may also qualify if:
- The property was built before 1978
- Rental property owners must contribute 25 percent toward the total cost of lead-hazard repair
- At least 50 percent of the units must be occupied by or made available to families with incomes at or below 50 percent of the area’s median income level
- The remaining units shall be occupied by or made available to families with incomes at or below 80 percent of the area’s median income level
- Buildings with five or more units may have 20 percent of the units occupied by families with incomes above 80 percent of the area’s median income level.
Fill out one of these applications and gather required documentation:
- Application for an owner occupied home
- Spanish Application for an owner occupied home
- Application for rental properties (must be completed by the property owner)
- Spanish application for rental properties
Bring to the Kansas City, MO, Health Department
2400 Troost Ave.
Kansas City, MO, 64108
What to expect after you submit your application:
- If you qualify, an inspector will come take pictures of your home.
- We then send your application to the State of Missouri and the city for approval. (estimated time: 3 months to process)
- After approvals, we add your home to the list of homes to be inspected. (estimated time: 6 months to process)
- When your property comes up, we send a licensed lead inspector to your home to determine what the lead hazards are and to make work recommendations.
- Licensed lead abatement contractors will perform the remediation.
- Types of work may include specialized cleaning, wet scraping and repainting, replacement, encapsulation or enclosure and window replacement.
Exposure to lead can cause:
- Brain damage
- Speech delay
- Kidney problems, even death.
How would my children or I be exposed to lead?
Lead can be found in:
- Chipping paint and dust
- Dirt outside
- Jewelry and other products inside
- Cosmetics – Make-up
Important lead information may be found at the following websites:
- Lead-safe work practices
- EPA’s renovating, repair and painting rule
- Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment lead information
- Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services lead information
Additional lead information from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services:
- Overview of Lead and Health Effects
- Lead Exposure Risks at Home
- Lead Exposure Risks in the Workplace
*The Kansas City, Missouri Health Department’s (KCHD) “Project Lead Safe KC” is a grant funded program to assist the residents of Kansas City, Mo., with home and rental property lead-based paint stabilization. The program sends a licensed lead inspector to your home to determine what the lead hazards are and to make work recommendations. Licensed lead abatement contractors will perform the remediation. Types of work may include specialized cleaning, wet scraping and repainting, replacement, encapsulation or enclosure and window replacement.