Filing a Discrimination Complaint
If someone, an organization, or company discriminated against you, file a discrimination complaint:
- File an Employment Complaint (English Language)
- File an Employment Complaint (Spanish Language)
- File a Public Accommodations Complaint (English Language)
- File a Public Accommodations Complaint (Spanish Language)
- To file a housing complaint (i.e., race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or gender identity), please call HUD FHEO at (913) 551-6993 or (913) 551-6958.
Before filing a discrimination complaint, consider the following:
- The alleged discriminatory act must have occurred within the last 180 days
- The employer or business establishment you are filing against must be located within the city limits of Kansas City, Missouri
- For employment discrimination cases, the employer must have six or more employees
- Please do not file a claim with the Department if you have filed the same claim with another agency, i.e. EEOC, HUD, Missouri Commission on Human Rights.
- You must be 18 years old or older to file a complaint. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must file on your behalf.
Protecting our citizens against discrimination in employment and public accommodations (i.e., race, national origin, sex, religion, disability, age, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, and gender identity) is at the heart of our mission, city ordinance, state and federal laws.
“Discrimination – Report It, Don’t Ignore It”
The English program of the “Discrimination – Report It, Don’t Ignore It,” show aired its last episode in April of 2018. The Spanish program “Discriminación: ¡Repórtela, No la ignore!” airs the first Wednesday of each month from 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM on LA X 1250 AM and from 1:30 PM - 2:00 PM on La Grande 1340. Past podcasts are available in English and Spanish on SoundCloud for your listening pleasure.
“Discriminación: ¡Repórtela, No la ignore!”. programa se transmite el primer miércoles de cada mes de 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM en La X 1250 AM y de 1:30 PM - 2:00 PM en la grande 1340.
- HUD (U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) – Housing complaints
- EEOC (U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) – Employment complaints
- The Department of Justice – Covers all types of complaints (police, prison, etc.).
- Missouri Department of Labor –
- Receive complaints (housing) complaints from any address within the State of MO.
- Receive complaints (employment) outside of KCMO)
- MARC – Mid America Regional Council has information related to the Assessment to Fair Housing study, homeless services, housing resources, and other related activities.