The Kansas City, Missouri Municipal Court, Division 203, has exclusive jurisdiction over all domestic violence ordinance violations that are filed within the Kansas City limits. On average Division 203 handles 100 domestic violence cases per day.
About Municipal Domestic Violence Cases
- Criminal in nature
- Carry a range of punishment of up to six months in jail
- Include intimate partner violence, child abuse, child endangerment, violations of protective orders, stalking, and violence between family members.
Domestic Violence case victims and City witnesses
- Contact the Prosecutor’s Office.
Domestic Violence Docket Times
- Domestic violence cases are heard Monday – Friday at 9 a.m.
- The Compliance Docket meets Tuesdays at 2:30 p.m.
- The probation violation docket for offenders that are not on the Compliance Docket is heard on Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
Domestic Violence Mentor Court Program
In October of 2017, our Domestic Violence Court was the first municipal court in the nation named a Domestic Violence Mentor Court by the U.S. Department of Justice. This was due to the success of our Compliance Docket, a specialized docket established in January 2015 to supervise high risk domestic violence offenders.
Is your court interested in learning more about our best practices?
- Contact the Domestic Violence Offender Accountability Officer or call 816-513-2700
- Schedule a free, interactive training session in Kansas City or at the site of the interested court.
- Download the Mentor Court Fact Sheet
Municipal Domestic Violence Court first court in Missouri and only municipal court in nation to be named a mentor court by the U.S. Department of Justice.
Judge Courtney Wachal and Offender Accountability Officer Megan Sartin discuss the Kansas City Domestic Violence Court, a federally designated mentor court that helps other jurisdictions improve their responses to domestic violence.
These specialized courts serve as resources for courts across the country by facilitating peer-to-peer learning and providing examples of effective practices.