You now have the option to address some Municipal Court cases at a virtual court appearance, a video conference with you, the judge and the prosecutor without going to the courthouse. You will need internet access with microphone and camera to appear by video, or just the microphone capability to appear by audio only OR the ability to dial in by cell phone or landline. Please see the eligibility guidelines below.
If you have received a summons to appear in court in-person but would like a virtual court appearance instead, submit your request within 15 days of receiving your summons. Virtual court hearings are voluntary. If you do not schedule AND appear at a virtual hearing, you still must appear in-person on your scheduled court date or a warrant for failure to appear will be issued.
email KCMCVirtualDocket@kcmo.org and include
- (Required) your 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices for the day of the week and time for your virtual appearance. Your choices are 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except holidays).
- (Required) your name, date of birth, email address and a phone number.
- (If available) our driver’s license number and ticket number(s).
- Any additional information and/or documents (attachments).
You will receive an email with your virtual court appearance date, time and a ZOOM link to join the meeting.
Once you join the meeting, you will be placed in a Zoom waiting room and you will be granted access by the judge when your case is called. There may be other cases ahead of you, please wait. We thank you for your patience.
During the meeting, you may be placed in a separate room of the virtual court appearance to talk with prosecutors or other court personnel, then brought back in front of the Judge.
Virtual Court Appearance Eligibility Guidelines
- To have a virtual appearance you must have a pending case in the Kansas City Municipal Court and want to either:
- Enter a plea of guilty on cases that are punishable by fine only. If you plead GUILTY at a virtual court appearance, you have the same opportunity to enter a payment plan.
- Request time to pay or modification of payment plan.
- Request probation condition modifications (i.e. more time to complete a class, complete a class through a different agency).
- Request a continuance of a future court date.
- Request a Legal Aid (court provided) attorney to resolve eligible case(s) at a future hearing.
- Resolve outstanding warrant (at the desecration of the judge).
- Have an attorney who worked out a plea negotiation with the prosecutor.
- To have a video virtual court appearance, your computer, cell phone or wireless device must have a webcam or built in camera with sound and video. If using a cell phone or wireless device, you will have to install the ZOOM APP before the conference begins if you do not already have it.
- To dial in, use a cell phone or land line and the telephone instructions in your Zoom invitation to the conference.
- Dress in a soft solid color. If a tie is worn, use a solid color tie.
- When speaking, remember to look directly at the webcam, not at the screen.
- Position the camera at your eye level or slightly above eye level.
- Be mindful of what is behind you, choose a solid neutral wall if possible.
- Check the lighting.
- Speak one at a time and pause prior to speaking in case there is any audio/video lag.
- Mute yourself when not speaking to avoid potential background noise. Test your connection and Zoom setup with a test meeting.