Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all visits to 4400 Blue Pkwy to meet with your inspector must be scheduled ahead of time. To make an appointment please contact your inspector (their information can be found in the bottom left corner of your notice letter), or the Code Enforcement Manager, Terrell Mills. Thank you for your understanding and patience in these challenging times.
Neighborhood Preservation is one of the largest divisions of the Neighborhoods and Housing Services Department, and one of the most visible. More than 50 code enforcement officers, assigned to various inspection areas throughout the City, respond to complaints of nuisance code or property maintenance code violations, attempt to obtain voluntary compliance from homeowners or residents, and issue tickets or administrative citations to those who refuse to comply. Anyone can look up nuisance code violations by address or case number.
The division contains several programs and areas of focus:
- Enforcement of Chapter 48 and Chapter 56 of the City’s Code of Ordinances, and certain sections of other chapters as they apply to residential property;
- This includes both responding to citizen complaints to 311 and, when appropriate, enforcement sweeps through target areas and neighborhoods.
- Dangerous building monitoring and, when necessary, demolition at the expense of the property owner;
- Securing property that has been left open to entry, if the owner is unwilling or unable to be contacted;
- Nuisance abatement when property owners fail to maintain their own property for weed or trash violations;
- Administers the Safe Harbor program for new property owners/rehabbers;
- Partnership with the Kansas City Land Bank to ensure that properties sold for back taxes do not become blighting influences on the neighborhoods
- (816) 513-9010 (Preservation)
- (816) 513-8430 (Dangerous Buildings)
- (816) 513-9020 (Land Bank)
Fax: (816) 513-9090