In order to provide due process to those who have had their vehicle towed, the City of Kansas City, MO has a process for evaluating requests for tow and storage fee refunds.
You may be eligible for a refund if:
- the tow was made in error,
- the individual was found not guilty of their parking ticket in Municipal Court,
- the vehicle was towed as part of a KCPD investigation,
- the owner can demonstrate financial hardship
- Pick up an application for refund from the Tow Lot at 7750 E. Front Street, Kansas City, Mo. 64120, or from the Neighborhoods & Housing Services Department at 414 E. 12th Street, 4th Floor, Kansas City, Mo. 64106. You can also download an application for refund.
- You can ask for a review on the written statement or other evidence you provide, or you can ask for an in-person or telephone interview. If you ask for a telephone interview, all of your documentary evidence needs to be sent ahead of time so that the hearing officer has it at the time of your interview. If you have an in-person or telephone interview and you have witnesses, your witnesses must be present in person or on the phone so that the hearing officer can hear their statements.
- The City has 3 business days to make the decision and must tell you about it by the next business day.
- You can apply for a refund of your tow fee and up to 7 days of storage fees. If you are indigent, you can apply for a refund of your tow fee and up to 14 days of storage fees.
- If you are dissatisfied with the decision, you can appeal to the Property Maintenance Appeals Board. More information is on Property Maintenance Appeals Board web page.
- If your application was incomplete, you will be contacted by the Tow Lot and they will tell you what additional information you need to submit. You have 10 days to submit the additional information.
You can prove you are indigent by submitting proof of any of the following:
- You have used the public defenders’ office or legal aid within the last six months.
- You currently receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits.
- You currently rent a home with the assistance of a § 8 voucher.
- You currently receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits.
- You currently receive Medicaid benefits.
- You currently receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- If you feel you were wrongly towed, you can submit any evidence you have. It can be pictures, a written statement by you or by other witnesses, diagrams, ordinances or statutes, receipts, or any other proof you feel you need to make your case.
- You have 60 days from when your car is towed to apply for a refund. If you are found not guilty in Municipal Court for your parking ticket, you have 30 days from the not guilty verdict to apply for a refund even if you have already applied for a refund. If your parking ticket was dismissed in Municipal Court, you have 30 days from the dismissal to apply for a refund, but only if you have not already applied for one already.
- If you use our web application, it’s already submitted. You can also either mail in your application or deliver it in person to the Tow Lot at 7750 E. Front Street, Kansas City, Mo. 64120. If you mail your application, address it to the “Division Manager, Tow Lot.”