Upcoming Recycling and Trash Dates
Dec. 25 - Christmas Day - City offices closed - no pickup
Dec. 26 - 31 - Pickup on holiday schedule (collection pushed back one day)
Dec. 26 - 31 - No tag collection
Jan. 1 - New Years Day - City offices closed - no pickup
Jan. 2 - Jan. 1 recycling and trash collected
Jan. 3 - Jan. 2 recycling and trash collected
Jan. 4 - Jan. 3 recycling and trash collected
❆ Please note that winter weather may impact collection. Watch this page and kcmo.gov/snow for relevant information.
Curbside Recycling and Trash Pickup
- Weekly trash collection — once a week. Trash tag required for each bag over two – where to get tags.
- KC Recycles — once a week curbside recycling.
- Bulky item collection — by appointment. Please make an appointment online using the Online Bulky Scheduler, or contact 311.
- Leaf and brush collection – every spring and fall
Drop-Off Recycling and Trash Sites
- Recycling — Wednesday through Saturday at three locations. In addition, recycling service is provided through PartnerBins located throughout the city.
- Leaf and brush drop-off — three locations.
- Tires — first Saturday of each month (March through November) at 4707 Deramus Ave. Hours of operation – 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- Household hazardous waste — Thursday through Saturday.
- Swap Shop — Tuesday through Saturday, paint and common household chemicals at 4707 Deramus Ave. Walk-ins are welcome.
Trash Pick-Up Holiday Schedule
Holidays usually push back collection one day. Check this holiday schedule to see if there is a delay and learn trash amnesty dates.
Please wait until 3 p.m. on day of service to call or contact 311.
If items have not been collected on the scheduled collection day or to report service-related problems or questions, please contact 311 within 24 hours of the scheduled collection day.
Neighborhood Cleanup Assistance Programs
There are a number of neighborhood clean-up options available, including the dumpster program, blue bag program, tire amnesty program, adopt-a-street program and ABOPT events.
Long-Term Solid Waste Strategic Management Plan
Kansas City’s Public Works Department is evaluating its current solid waste management process and is developing a Long-Term Solid Waste Strategic Management Plan.
The City of Kansas City, Missouri provides one of the most cost-effective trash and recycling collection services in the nation. The service cost is approximately $7 per household per month less than the national average. Residents are not charged a monthly fee for trash collection service. The service is funded from general tax dollars.
Residents are advised that the cost of trash disposal is likely to rise in the future as landfill fees and other costs increase. By diverting recyclable materials away from the landfill through the KC Recycles program, residents can help control unnecessary increases in landfill disposal costs.