Residents of the City of Kansas City, Mo. have the option of using the City’s no-charge Bulky Item Pickup / Appointment System, or for a fee, can access additional bulky collection options that provide greater flexibility.
Fee Based Bulky Services
(from WCA Waste Corporation)
The City has negotiated reasonable rates for residents to schedule bulky item collection directly through WCA Waste Corporation that provides residents greater flexibility for bulky collection. In addition to this service, residents can also make arrangements for the rental of dumpster-like boxes for the disposal of material from home do-it-yourself projects. To utilize these services or to learn more, contact WCA Waste Corporation customer service by email, by calling (816) 380-5595 between 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday - Friday or use their online service.
No-Charge Bulky Appointments
The City’s no-charge appointment-based Bulky Item Collection Program is for disposal of large household items that cannot be handled in the regular weekly trash collection.
No-Charge Online Appointment Schedule System
Making an appointment:
- Make an appointment online using the Online Bulky Scheduler.
- By phone: Call 311 or (816) 513-1313 to schedule an appointment.
- Appointments must be made up to 48 hours prior to the service date.
- Collections will not be made without an appointment.
- Items must meet guidelines for large item collection (Limit- 15 items).
Canceling an appointment:
- Contact 311 to cancel a bulky item pickup appointment.
The Bulky Item Collection program accepts:
- Refrigerators, freezers and air conditioning units
- Metal appliances such as stoves, dishwashers, washing machines, dryers, water heaters and furnaces
- Furniture such as couches, tables, chairs, TV’s, beds, mattresses and metal furniture
- Other items such as bathroom fixtures, cabinets, rugs, garage doors, lawn mowers, railroad ties, disassembled swing sets and metal fencing
- Storm windows and glass panes. To help prevent injury, place a large “X” of masking tape across glass panes to prevent shattering and stack them separately from other bulky items.
- Carpet if it is rolled up and either over four feet long or over 40 lbs. (if it is cut into small squares it can be put out as trash).
The Bulky Item Collection program does not accept:
- Trash in bags or boxes will not be accepted in bulky collections. These items must be disposed in the regular weekly trash collection.
- Commercial or business trash or waste materials, including trash or waste from businesses conducted in or from a residence
- Piles of stuff, bags or boxes of smaller items
- Loose or scattered materials
- Closed drums or fuel tanks, metal drums must have both ends removed to be collected
- Automobile bodies or gas tanks
- Loose building materials and lumber. As long as specific bundle and bag guidelines are followed, building materials and lumber can be placed curbside for weekly trash collection. The bundle and bag guidelines are as follows: Materials bound in 4’x2′ bundles that weigh less than 40 pounds will be accepted. Sheetrock, plaster and loose materials will be accepted in regular trash bags if they weigh less than 40 pounds. Bags and bundles are part of the weekly two-bag limit. Therefore, Excess Trash Tags may be required.
Bulky appointments will be scheduled to correspond with regular trash and recycling collection days.
Bulky Item Collection Requirements
- Place items within ten feet of the curb by 7 a.m. on collection day (Limit- 15 items)
- Do not place items curbside prior to 3 p.m. the day before a scheduled appointment
- Place items where they are not obstructed by parked cars
- For their safety, crews will not collect bulky items beneath tree branches or low-hanging wires.
- Crews will not pick up bulky items if those items are in any way obstructed by vehicles.
- Different trucks collect different types of bulky items – one for appliances that contain refrigerants, etc.
- Collection is provided for all single family houses and multi-family dwellings with six or less units
If your items were not picked up on collection day, contact 311 within 24 hours of the scheduled collection day.
Did you know that many of your bulky items can be recycled or reused? Go to RecycleSpot.org and find out where to recycle or donate your mattress, computers, televisions, furniture, and more!
Additional Solid Waste Services
- Waste Tire Drop-Off: (816) 513-1313
- Leaf and Brush: (816) 513-1313
- Weekly Residential Trash Collection: (816) 513-1313
- Weekly Curbside Recycling: (816) 513-1313