Permit Applications

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

CompassKC LogoThe Public Works Department’s Permits Division addresses permits for activities within the public right-of-way or activities that could impact public use of the streets and right-of-way.

Currently, the Public Works Department is only accepting permits through the Compass KC system. Compass KC links city departments to provide a one-stop shop for residents and businesses, covering permits, plans, payments and more. Registration is free of charge through the Compass KC website. Sign-in instructions are available here

For large outdoor events that need multiple City permits (including festivals, art fairs, parades and other events requiring noise permits, alcohol permits and food permits) please visit to fill out an Outdoor Event Permit application.

Applications are available online through Compass KC  for the following permits:

  • Application for streetcar track access permit (TAP)
  • Application for block party permit – Please note that permit applications for July 4 events must be submitted no later than June 26.
  • Dumpster permit
  • Excavation permit
  • Festival permit
  • Parade permit
  • Hauling permit
  • Loading zone permit
  • Oversized hauling permit
  • Residential parking
  • Banner installation and for placement of a banner on an existing pole
  • Street plate permit
  • Traffic control permit
  • Bicycle rack permit and supporting materials: Bike Rack Maintenance Agreement

For optimal efficiency, please access Compass KC using your Internet Explorer browser.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer