Design Criteria, Specifications and Standards
The official City of Kansas City, Mo. Public Works Department’s standard specifications and design criteria consist of the Kansas City Metro Chapter, American Public Works Association, Standard Specifications and Design Criteria as revised, adopted and provided by the director of Public Works. The adopted standards, revisions and supplements to APWA can be viewed and printed from the below links.The standards and specifications contain material, equipment, design criteria and construction requirements of infrastructure items proposed for construction within the city limits of Kansas City, Mo.
Construction work shall conform to the Public Works Department contract documents in the case of a City contract or a City issued construction permit in the case of a developer/owner contract.
- 5100 – Site work and erosion and sediment – design
- 5200 – Street design criteria
- 5500 – Sanitary sewers and appurtenances – design
- 5600: Storm drainage systems – design
- 5700 – Structures – design
- 5800 – Street lighting – design
- BMP manual
- 1720 – City Surveying and construction staking
- 1722 – Surveying and construction staking
- 2000 – General Standards – construction
- 2100 – Grading and site preparation – construction
- 2200 – Paving – construction
- 2300 – Incidental construction
- 2305 – Traffic control – Pedestrian traffic control and sidewalk closure
- 2400 – Seeding and sodding – construction
- 2500 – Sanitary sewers – construction
- 2600 – Storm sewers – construction
- 2700 – Structures – construction
- 2800 – Street lights – construction
Construction and Material Specifications
Traffic Signal Specifications and Drawings
Approved Ready Mix Concrete Plants
Approved Hot Mix Asphalt Plants
Approved Precast Concrete Structure Plants
Approved Third-Party Materials Testing Labs
Ready Mix Concrete Plant Quality Management Plan
Precast Concrete StructurePlant Quality Management Plan
Hot Mix Asphalt Plant – Quality Management Plan
Prequalified Testing Laboratory Quality Management Plan
Materials Testing Requirements
- Guidelines for guardrail
- Major street plan
- Speed hump drawing
- Traffic calming guidelines
- Traffic circle design
- Traffic impact analysis guidelines
- Trail standards
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Roadway Luminaires
- Light Emitting Diode (LED) Roadway Luminaires
The Kansas City Metro Chapter, of the American Public Works Association Standard Specifications and Design Criteria are available at the KC APWA website(click on specifications).
Project-specific construction documents, including all Contract Drawings and Specifications (Project Manual) are available fromKCMO Planroom.
The standards are provided in PDF format and may be viewed and printed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader software program that is available free to download.
City design standards are regularly reviewed, a process involving public comment from the building trades community.
Current proposed standards are as follows:
Previous standards discussed last year were as follows:
- APWA Section 2300
- Street resurfacing
- Residential street standards
- Alley standards
- Driveway standards
- Curb and gutter standards
- APWA Section 2800 – street lights – construction
- APWA Section 5800 – street lighting – design
The exclusive purpose of this electronic publication is to provide information as a convenience to those who choose this form of access. The electronic drawing files contained herein do not constitute official City of Kansas City, Mo., Contract Documents. The Public Works Department does not intend for the information contained herein to form a contract with any person, nor shall any of this information be relied upon by any person as forming a part of any contract. The printed and published content of the City of Kansas City, Mo., Standard Specifications and Design Criteria, as it has been approved and adopted from the Metropolitan Chapter of the American Public Works Association with revisions published in City of Kansas City, Mo., supplements for each section by the director of Public Works as well as other general and special provisions of the Bidding and Contract Documents for a particular project shall always control over the information provided in this electronic publication.