Each year the Street Preservation Section resurfaces streets throughout the City. This activity starts in late spring and is completed by late fall. The 2019 resurfacing season began in late May 2019 with contracts awarded for all areas: northern city limits to the Missouri River, Missouri River to 59th St, and 59th St. to the southern city limits. The 2019-2020 budget for street preservation is $17 million. This includes $500,000 for maintenance of Parks roadways and $500,000 for Complete Streets activities.
- View the City's roadway network by roadway type.
- View the City's arterial roadway network.
- View the proposed 5-year plan maps.
- Read our Street Preservation Strategies white paper report (July 2019).
What is being resurfaced in 2019?*The current map of streets to be resurfaced in 2019 is available to view on the City's Parcel Viewer.
- Once you have opened the parcel viewer, click the "Projects" pull-down map
- Place a check mark next to Street Resurfacing
- Click Projects again to minimize the projects menu
- Streets scheduled for resurfacing in 2019 will be marked in light gray
- Dark gray lines identify streets that have been resurfaced during the 2019 resurfacing season
- This map is regularly updated as progress is made on the resurfacing list
*This is the initial program list and subject to change based on City Council priorities and available funding.
Weekly Resurfacing Schedule*
*The schedule may vary depending on weather conditions and contractor mobilization.
Data used for choosing streets:
- Road conditions using OCI rating (Overall Condition Rating)
- Maintenance needs
- Travel demand like traffic volume and implications of detour routes if no repairs were made
This graphic shows the street condition rating system and the corresponding pavement activities suggested for each rating group. Each KCMO street segment has a particular rating in our asset management system, Cartegraph.
Additional coordination efforts:Staff is currently coordinating the 2019 street resurfacing list with other activities, including:
- Other construction projects
- Utility work
- Bikeway projects and the proposed BikeKC Master Plan
- Road Diet candidates
Program contacts:Maggie Green
Public Information Officer
Public Works Department
Phone: (816) 513-2612
Or contact the 311 Center