Obtain Business Licenses, Registrations, and Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When operating a business in the City, you must obtain required City business licenses (occupational/cigarette/utilities) and register for payment of required taxes (convention and tourism, downtown arena fee, profits tax and withholding tax).

The Business License Office shares space with KC BizCare, the City’s comprehensive business customer service center, at 1118 Oak St. Here customers can obtain their business licenses, tax clearance letters, zoning clearances for business licensing, and speak with KC BizCare business advocates about referrals to other organizations in the community available to support small business growth and development.

Finance Department
Revenue Division, Business License Section
1118 Oak St.
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 513-1135
Fax: (816) 513-1221

Contractor Licensing
Certain construction-related tradeswork in the City requires that contractors hold one or more contractor licenses from City Planning and Development. For information about contractor licensing and certification requirements, refer to Information Bulletin No. 118.

City Planning & Development – Development Services
Contractor Licensing Branch, City Hall # 503
414 East 12th St., Fifth Floor
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 513-1500 (Option 6)
Fax: (816) 513-1456

Depending on the type of business you choose to operate, there are certain industry specific regulatory licenses, registrations and permits required by city, county, state and federal agencies.

Fire Inspections
The Fire Marshal’s Office conducts annual fire inspections of buildings to ensure the safety of building occupants. The Fire Code requires permits and inspections for various activities, including tents and temporary membrane structures, assembly uses and storage of hazardous or flammable materials. Fire guards may be required for certain assembly uses or events. The Fire Marshal’s Office is the point of contact for all fire inspection information.

Fire Department
Fire Prevention Division
Century Towers, 635 Woodland Ave., Suite 2103
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 784-9100
Fax: (816) 784-9130

Liquor and Entertainment Licensing
The Neighborhood and Community Services Department’s Regulated Industries Division is responsible for permits and licenses regarding liquor (server permits and establishments licenses), catering licenses, sidewalk café licenses, picnic permits (for non-profit organizations), adult entertainment (individual permits and establishment licenses), dance halls, carnivals/motor raceways, nude modeling and semi-nude body painting studios, taxi cabs/livery service and sightseeing vehicles. Regulated Industries checklists and applications are available here. To contact a Regulated Industries Division staff member, call (816) 784-9000.

Neighborhood and Community Services Department
Regulated Industries Division
Century Towers, 635 Woodland Ave., Suite 2101
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 784-9000

Food Permits and Inspections
The Health Department’s Food Protection Program is responsible for granting permits, inspecting entities and responding to complaints of all food establishments in Kansas City, Mo. Food establishments include restaurants, cafeterias, grocery stores, convenience stores, concession stands, push carts, mobile units, ice cream trucks, frozen food truck vendors and temporary events. Food permit applications and inspection and regulatory information are available online or by calling the Food Protection Program staff at (816) 513-6315.

Health Department
Food Protection Program
2400 Troost Ave., Suite 3000
Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: (816) 513-6315
Fax: (816) 513-6290

Air Quality Permits
The Health Department’s Air Quality Program is responsible for protecting and enhancing air quality by controlling present and future sources of air pollution. Certain business and manufacturing operations are required to obtain air quality permits. The Air Quality Program may be reached by calling (816) 513-6314.

Health Department
Air Quality Program
2400 Troost Ave., Suite 3000
Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: (816) 513-6314

Building Permits
If you are building an addition, constructing a new building, renovating or remodeling an existing building or tenant space, a building permit will be required for your project. In some cases, rezoning may be required depending on whether the use intended is allowed in the zoning district in which your project is located.

The City Planning and Development Department’s Development Services Division also issues permits for public improvements including sidewalks, driveways, storm and sanitary sewer construction and connections and site disturbance.

Development Services provides various checklists and permit information, as well as a permit tracking system. They can provide a checklist for building permits and the plans review submittal process in Information Bulletin No. 110, which is a valuable resource for architects and engineers.

City Planning and Development Department
Development Services
414 E. 12th St., Fifth Floor, City Hall
Kansas City, MO 64106
Phone: (816) 513-1500
Fax: (816) 513-1457

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer