The City has an Ethics Hotline, which provides employees and residents a way to anonymously report suspected abuse and wrongdoing by elected officials, members of appointed boards and commissions, City employees, contract employees, vendors, bidders and anyone doing business with the City.
The City encourages employees and residents to call the Ethics Hotline at 1 (800) 340-3132 to file a complaint whenever wrongdoing is suspected.
Although all calls are accepted, the hotline is not designed for supervisor-employee disagreements, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission complaints, 311 issues or emergency calls.
Calls to the hotline are anonymous, and a caller can choose how much information to share with the call specialist, though the more information provided, the more helpful it will be. The call specialist, who is a vendor located on the east coast, will assemble the information and email it to the City’s internal auditor for further investigation.
The City wants and needs fellow City employees and residents to improve the ethical environment of City government and reduce corruption. Residents with knowledge of an unethical situation taking place in City government should call the hotline at 1 (800) 340-3132.
Internal Auditor’s Office
The City Charter (Sec 219) establishes the position of the Internal Auditor as independent arm of the City Manager’s Office and provides the following structure for the function. The Internal Auditor:
- Is appointed by, can be removed by and reports to the City Manager.
- Performs reviews or other investigations authorized by the City Manager of the activities of the City to determine their efficiency, effectiveness, and compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Reviews or investigates matters as authorized by the City Manager of the activities of any entity receiving funds or other support from the City from whatever source, insofar as the review or investigation relates to the activities funded by the City;
- Makes other investigations as the City Manager may direct.
- Issues reports to the City Manager as appropriate. (Much of the work of this office relates to personnel issues and is confidential and a closed record under the Missouri Sunshine Law.)
- Shall have access to all books and records of all departments, boards, commissions, and other offices, of the City and may require the appearance of any official, officer, agent or employee of any department, board, commission or other office for the purpose of examining that person under oath or affirmation.
- Shall have the power to summon any person to be examined under oath or affirmation and may require the production of documents or other things from any person necessary to meet the responsibilities of the office. The Internal Auditor may issue necessary process, including a subpoena or subpoena deuces tecum, to compel attendance or the production of documents or other things.
- Receives all reports from the City’s Ethics Hotline, 1 (800) 340-3132, and either passes those reports to Department Directors for resolution or, if they involve, senior City official or serious fraud, the Internal Auditor may investigate them.
414 East 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64106
Ethics Hotline: (800) 340-3132